• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

12V versus 24V cummins 5.9L

that looks like a great rig just remember that with an auto youll probly have to upgrade it sooner or later, all depends on your driving style and power upgrades u do:D

i relized that as soon as i looked at the add, but its also a little cheaper than some of the others ive looked at so i would have a good start to saving for a new tranny:awesomework:

just wondering if that front seat will move far enough foward for you tiny leg's:haha:

:fawkdancesmiley: if crista can reach the pedals im cure i can:fawkdancesmiley:

4 door auto I would get a ford of chev. I'm happy with my F250 at nearly 200,000 miles.
But then again I'm not hardcore.:flipoff:

:haha:

Sam,
I'd buy it. It has had some of the better upgrades done to it. The FASS isn't $1200 but it is $600.

I'd see if you could take it a diesel shop like DDP in Monroe and get their opinion of it. Even if it costs a C-note or so it would be money well spent towards making an informed decision as they will know what to look for, what issues are common to the trucks, the quality of upgrades and installation, etc.

I'd see if you could take it a diesel shop like DDP in Monroe and get their opinion of it. Even if it costs a C-note or so it would be money well spent towards making an informed decision as they will know what to look for, what issues are common to the trucks, the quality of upgrades and installation, etc.

X2!

360-794-7974:awesomework:

I don't know how people can say they do 70 over the pass towing a load with a 12 valve.. I've gone up the pass towing a load in a stock 12 valve.. 70 or even 60 was nowhere in site.. And sticking your nose up to someone who has some power while you have stock steering and brakes and saying you are much more in control is pretty stupid as well.. Have you driven a Dodge lately Boomer? You need to get off your high horse every now and then. Performance isn't the only area I have put some money into my truck. Can you say the same?

As a matter of fact, I just drove my Dodge yesterday to pick up the transmission for my Jeep. :cool:

My truck can easily maintain 60 (the legal limit when towing, remember?) over the pass with a week's worth of hunting/camping equipment and my Jeep in tow. Maybe yours couldn't, I don't know. I'm sure there were other variables involved. You also discount numerous others who feel the stock power level is is okay and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. That's not to say that I wouldn't like a little more, it's just not my first priority.

The steering and brakes on my truck are in decent operating order. It drives down the road in a straight line and stops the same. There isn't a whole lot more that can be done. The tie rods have a hint of slop in them and when replaced I will upgrade from the "Y" style to the "T" style. When it comes time to do the brakes, I will upgrade the rear wheel cylinders to the larger GM style ones. I have an upgraded track bar, control arms, and urethane bushings. The truck has good shocks and tires with a proper Load Range and weight rating (remember that discussion?). Best of all, I have an exhaust brake. That alone will make a far bigger difference than any single other modification. To date I have chosen to put my money into functional upgrades that make the truck handle better all around rather than simply go faster. If you think that makes me stupid then I guess you are free to maintain your opinion no matter how ill informed or ignorant.

As far as sticking my nose up or riding a high horse, that is just your personal misinterpretation of my comments.

Steering was not the same throughout the years.. it was different on the 98 models. And the 6 speed had a smaller input shaft in 99. And was rare as is for that model year because they haulted production on it soon after the launch and then came back with it a lot heavier in 2000.

The "T" style steering used on the 98s and some 99s is better than the "Y" style used on the rest of the 2nd Gens, but not by much of appreciable margin. The "T" style is also easily retrofitted to the other years as well and would be a worthwhile upgrade when the original components need replacing, but something I would go out of my way to do.

Didn't know about the smaller input shaft of the 99 NV5600s. Seems that could probably be addressed at clutch replacement time.

The absolute cheapest way to have decent power, good fuel mileage and reliability. Get a 96-98 12 valve 5 speed, Put a fuel plate in it (free), a decent intake, a 4" exhaust.. save up for a decent clutch and don't go over 285/75/16 tires. You will be plenty happy.

Sounds like a good plan, except that I would not make a blanket statement about tire size without knowing what gear ratio the truck has.

Last edited:
I say that it has terrible steering and terrible brakes because I compare it to other trucks on the rode.. My Ram is barely better then my old 77 highboy in those departments.. I have already upgraded all of the things that you talk about, except for the exhaust brake, I had one and took it off.. The wheel cylinders are a decent upgrade. But if you want stuff that really works. A rear disc conversion is in order and I'd upgrade the calipers and rotors up front. That's next on my list. Like I said, you may think I have all of my money into performance stuff, but I don't.

And what kind of mileage do you get with those 315's and 4.10's?

Man I love my 06 CTD, plenty of pep,quieter, stops on a dime, and truly steers itself.:D You 12v guys argue too much.

Last edited:

I heard you can't even park in front of the building for a c-note:rolleyes: :flipoff:

Sam,
I'd buy it. It has had some of the better upgrades done to it. The FASS isn't $1200 but it is $600.

i think i will take boomers advice and talk to the guy see if i can write up a paper saying that i can "borrow" the truck for two days to get it looked over and offer the owner some cash as compinsation and make sure i cover my butt and the owners in the document which we will both sign a copy each

hey boomer read above....good idea ya think?

I think she's taller than you :flipoff:

i call bulls!!t

X2!

360-794-7974:awesomework:

i assume thats DDP's number? how much you think they would charge to take a look at the vehicle?

ahhhh blow me.. Mine might make it another year before it pisses me off enough to jump into a 3rd gen.

you'll be happy you did.....

im outa here.. time to jump in my 03... and put put back to work...

jeff you coming down to vancuver this weekend?

Back