• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ulsd

Got this off a a local diesel board...

"The process of removing sulphur from the fuel ALSO removes lubrication from the fuel. This could be very bad for older diesels on the verge of pump or injector failure due to wear and tear.

Technically, to meet ASTM fuel specs, the oil companies will need to add a lubrication agent to the fuel, but you can be sure it will be the bare minimum.

If you dont already run a fuel additive such as stanadyne, you may want to look into starting.

Also, BIO-DIESEL is both a lubricant, and a fuel, AND its already an Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel. In fact, Bio-Diesel has virtually no detectable sulphur in it. It is lower than the stnadard for ULSD that the government is requiring.

Soo, in summary.

2007 and newer: DO NOT USE LOW sulphur diesel. Only use ULTRA LOW (ULSD) and hopefully Bio-Diesel (I have not read if the 2007 engines emissions systems can handle Bio, but I have to assume YES since most states are requiring Bio-D to be mixed into the regular Diesel).

2006 to 1996: Can use any fuel, but stick to LOW (LSD) or Bio-D if you have a choice. Otherwise I would add a lubricant to ULSD fuel such as stanadyne, or at least 1% Bio-D

1995 and older: Can use LSD and ULSD, but cannot use Bio-D in high percentages (greater than 5%???) unless rubber fuel system parts are changed out to synthetic (VITON).

Even 1% Bio-Diesel will increase lubricity by over 60%. Higher concentrations will also clean your fuel system, so keep a couple of fuel filters handy."

http://nwforddiesel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148666560

XJOE said:
I am running 1 qt TC-W3 outboard (2-stroke) oil per Tank. Definitely quieter and makes a little smoke when I nail it...:clappy:
You doin this every tank Joe?

Yes napa in monroe has stanadyne additive. Its about $4 a tank. Got some this morning and will try it...

I have been runnin the TC-W3 (2stroke oil) in my 05' CTD for a while now and have noticed about 1-2 mpg increase while runnin it. Even quiter motor! With no bad effects. I use 1 qt per tank.

I would look at the additives and their ingrediants (ie MSDS sheets). Most of the additives on the market are made up of SOLVENTS and do very little to lubricate. I use to use power service until finding out it has about the same lubrication level as the ULSD.So I tried the 2 stroke oil and will not run a tank without it.

4runnin said:
I have been runnin the TC-W3 (2stroke oil) in my 05' CTD for a while now and have noticed about 1-2 mpg increase while runnin it. Even quiter motor! With no bad effects. I use 1 qt per tank.

I would look at the additives and their ingrediants (ie MSDS sheets). Most of the additives on the market are made up of SOLVENTS and do very little to lubricate. I use to use power service until finding out it has about the same lubrication level as the ULSD.So I tried the 2 stroke oil and will not run a tank without it.
I have to agree. I read on several boards about the makeup(contains solvents) of additives. After that I talked to the guys at Cummins Nw and they said all I need was on occasional additive to clean injectors.

I was talking to my cousin about this, he's the lead Diesel mechanic for Chevron here in WA. He said running the TC-W3 is a bad idea if you're still running cat converters, otherwise, no problemo.

dr drae said:
I was talking to my cousin about this, he's the lead Diesel mechanic for Chevron here in WA. He said running the TC-W3 is a bad idea if you're still running cat converters, otherwise, no problemo.
My kitty is how shall we say "slightly modified" So need to worry about it...:D

Latest posts

Back