• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CTD Fuel economy

hwcurtice

Okay, I know it seems that the tow rig of choice here is Dodge with a CTD. I was wondering if anyone monitors their fuel economy with their CTD and a manual tranny? And if so, what is your unweighted MPG?

And does a 12v beat a 24v engine? In fuel economy, that is.

Generally, I know when something is wrong because the fuel economy drops. Do diesel's backfire?

Watch this thread for more inane, silly questions as they rumble (rattle?) through my skull.

I regularly get 20-21 in my dually. SRWs tend to get 1-2mpg more. And yes, Ford diesels can backfire. See the vid that someone posted. :corn:

I regularly get 20-21 in my dually. SRWs tend to get 1-2mpg more. And yes, Ford diesels can backfire. See the vid that someone posted. :corn:

I saw the vid you mentioned. I mean really, backfire like a gas engine.

I'm just asking because I have my first diesel powered rig, Dodge, and I want to know what to watch out for.

12v, 5 speed 4x4.

I drive to work 4 days a week at 6 miles round trip total per day. the other 3 days i run about 40 miles. I do this with 20 bucks a week, 12v 5 speed ctd with 239k on it. every week i creep more towards a full tank...

Last edited:
I drive to work 4 days a week at 6 miles round trip total per day. the other 3 days i run about 40 miles. I do this with 20 bucks a week, 12v 5 speed ctd with 239k on it. every week i creep more towards a full tank...

My commute is more like 45 miles one way. Just discovered I have larger than factory on the truck, so now I'm not sure the speedo/odometer is accurate. Supposed to have 16-85/235. Has 16-75/265

But still, two days of driving it to work and I'm only down to just below 1/2 tank. The PO told me that when the "hey fool, you need fuel' light comes on, it still has about 7 gallons left too.

I check my milage whenever I fill up usually get 17-18. That's on a 99CTD driving around town and on hi-way.

2 or 4 wheel drive, gear ratio, tire size, type of driving?
You said manual trans.
I have a 4X4 12V with an auto so it does not count.
I took my fathers on a trip (the reason I bought mine).
The trip was from Utah to southern Arizona pulling a trailer down and flat towing an LWB sami back. We got in the 20 to 24 range.
His truck is a two wheel drive, club cab, long bed, 12V, 5spd under 100,000 miles on it (so far).

2 or 4 wheel drive, gear ratio, tire size, type of driving?
You said manual trans.
I have a 4X4 12V with an auto so it does not count.
I took my fathers on a trip (the reason I bought mine).
The trip was from Utah to southern Arizona pulling a trailer down and flat towing an LWB sami back. We got in the 20 to 24 range.
His truck is a two wheel drive, club cab, long bed, 12V, 5spd under 100,000 miles on it (so far).

12v, 4x4, Club Cab, 5 speed, 235k. I mentioned this in a previous post. Tires currently are 265/75-16. No clue as to gear ratio. I've only had it since Saturday. I know he mentioned boosting the HP up to 300 hp. No clue as to how.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html says I read .2% faster than I'm actually going, or one more revolution per mile due to the different size tire. So I'm guessing the mileage on the truck isn't too far off from accurate.

General driving is work and back from Sultan to SODO.

Latest posts

Back