• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CTD Fuel economy

My brothers 6 speed 24V Cummins gets between 22-24 on the highway at 60mph. Deisels are VERY sensitive to highway speeds. The faster you go, the faster you suck the fuel. My TDI Jetta gets 55+MPG at 60MPH and in the 40's at 75MPH.

Ive got a few friends with 1994 to 1998.5 Dodge Cummins 12V and 5 speeds. They all average above 22mpg. Some as high as 26mpg. The 12Valvers are known for their mileage. That's the truck Im looking for for a two rig.

97 5speed dually 4.10 gears........best mileage is 13-14 mpg

after intake, exhaust, fuel plate,govenor spring is 10 mpg (it's impossible for me to keep my foot out of it)

24 valve 5 speed, 4wd with 285 mud tires... I get about 15-16 with a mix of around town and highway... and 18 unloaded on the highway. 13-14 when towing.

mines 03 ho 4x4 6sp w/ 4.10's i have a 35gal tank , i generaly fill up when the low fuel light comes on or 700-750 miles per tank.

the cool thind about diesels, yhe more you hop them up (to a point) the better the economy.

it seems the magic # to stay below is 2k rpm on a ctd
stop at a truck stop grab a bottle of howes meener cleaner , do the first tank at a tripple dose and drive the crap out of it... that'll clean the injectors up

My lifetime average on my '02 quad cab duallly 4x4 6-speed 3.55:1 geared 24valver with stock size tires is currently at 16.7 mpg that incudes LOTS of towing miles with the enclosed trailer and camper which puts my GCW at around 21,000 lbs where I get 10-11mpg. Without the camper and just the trailer and trail rig I get 13-14mpg and unladen on the highway I get 22-23mpg @ 70mph on flat ground. And, I have an edge box which gets cranked up alot and I drive the damn truck like its always a race!

mines 03 ho 4x4 6sp w/ 4.10's i have a 35gal tank , i generaly fill up when the low fuel light comes on or 700-750 miles per tank.

the cool thind about diesels, yhe more you hop them up (to a point) the better the economy.

it seems the magic # to stay below is 2k rpm on a ctd
stop at a truck stop grab a bottle of howes meener cleaner , do the first tank at a tripple dose and drive the crap out of it... that'll clean the injectors up

Sounds like getting a tach on this beast is a good idea.

That Ford didn't backfire.. that was a nitrous explosion. :shaking head:

A friend of mine gets 26 with his 2wd auto truck and ran 411 on the dyno... I got 18.5 on the last road trip with my truck. And that was with a blown headgasket.

Fine, I'll play...

'00 24v ext cab built auto dually 4.10s and stockish sized tires with 95K. I calculate out about 13.5-15.5 mpg and all my driving during the week is sitting in traffic between issaquah and bellevue. Obviously gets better on roadtrips, but 75 mph has me runnin at 24-2500 rpms...

I'm definitely no expert with nitrous.. But supposedly the truck gets excess fuel in the pipes (can't figure out how that could possibly happen). Nitrous colides with all the excess fuel and combusts in the pipes.

I am throwing 4.10's into my truck onces it's up and running again.. already have em waiting. We'll see how those help the 35's.. Plus with all the head work I'm doing. I should see a pretty good increase in mileage.

Okay, first fill-up since the original fill-up on Saturday. Averages out to about 20 mpg. I suppose that's good for commuting to Seattle and back, along with tugging a Cherokee a few miles.

No, on with the inane questions:

1st. Engine oil. Same as gas engine? Does it get dirtier faster? How often do you change yours? The PO said he did his every 5K. Best guess on when it's really time to change? Visual wise. PO also said he changed the fuel filter every 10K.

2nd: What is the oil filter looking thing that is on the turbo side of the engine? It has a (I think) pressure hose going into the back of the Turbo. Back meaning the side closest to the firewall. Is it normal for this item to look like its leaking from the top? Leaking enough to leave spots on the driveway. If not, how the heck do I fix it?

Stay tuned, there will be more, maybe.

Latest posts

Back