• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CTD Fuel economy

If the stacks blew off the truck...it was a backfire.

A backfire is the same whether gas or diesel...unburnt fuel in the exhaust that is ignited, it only has one way to go.

How did all that unburnt fuel get into the exhuast? Injectors...stacked boxes...?

It really doesn't have anything to do with nitrous...cars and trucks backfire all the time that don't have it, it may be more rare for diesels but when when EGT's get high enough with enough unburnt fuel in the exhaust it will happen.

well as of yet... we have never seen an explosion like that without having nitrous on the truck..

Let me see if I can describe it better:

Facing to the back of the engine compartment, the turbo is on your left, passenger side of engine. This filter (I'm guessing) in more towards the front of the engine and Turbo. It does have a pressure hose (guessing again that it is a pressure hose) that runs from the top to the rear of the turbo. It's only like a 12-16" hose. This filter looks like it attaches to an overhang from the engine, not direct to the block like I've seen most oil filters connect.

Does this help? I'm not ready to give up on this truck just yet. Heck, I've only had it for a week. This seems like minor issue, except if it is the oil filter, it might just need tightening, I don't want the entire contents of my oil pan on the road and me with a busted engine. I do know that's not a good thing.

That's the oil filter... Just tighten it...

If the stacks blew off the truck...it was a backfire.

A backfire is the same whether gas or diesel...unburnt fuel in the exhaust that is ignited, it only has one way to go.

How did all that unburnt fuel get into the exhuast? Injectors...stacked boxes...?

It really doesn't have anything to do with nitrous...cars and trucks backfire all the time that don't have it, it may be more rare for diesels but when when EGT's get high enough with enough unburnt fuel in the exhaust it will happen.

I just brought this up to my ChemE roommate, and acourding to him, at around 1700-1800 degree's ( exiting temp of exhaust) the nitrous could dicompose into nitrogen and oxygen molecules, thus producing O2, which is very flamable. So, in reality it is the nitrous that caught fire, and acts as the catalyst for the diesel to catch fire causing the stacks to blow... So, without the nitrous it wouldn't have backfired because they wouldn't be enough of a catalyst to cause it to burn...

I have a 6.7 Cummings in my dually and I average 13 mpg when I am empty, and 10 mpg when I am towing.

"2nd: What is the oil filter looking thing that is on the turbo side of the engine? It has a (I think) pressure hose going into the back of the Turbo. Back meaning the side closest to the firewall. Is it normal for this item to look like its leaking from the top? Leaking enough to leave spots on the driveway. If not, how the heck do I fix it?" :wtf:

I didn't get a rsponse to this, and it looks like it is leaking worse now: bigger spots on parking spot. Thoughts? Ideas? Help?

Yes, that's the oil filter. The hose sends oil to lube the turbo. Is the filter leaking or the hose?
The fuel filter is on the drivers side. (Looks like another oil filter). It needs changed a couple times a year depending on how much you drive it and the quailty of your fuel.

A tach would be an excellent idea. I would say a pyrometer is a must. It measures your exhaust temp. Keep it under 1200 to keep things from going away.

It came with a pyrometer. Thing barely moves on acceleration.
But I do plan on sticking a tach in there some where. Yes, plenty of room, just can't decide where.

I just brought this up to my ChemE roommate, and acourding to him, at around 1700-1800 degree's ( exiting temp of exhaust) the nitrous could dicompose into nitrogen and oxygen molecules, thus producing O2, which is very flamable. So, in reality it is the nitrous that caught fire, and acts as the catalyst for the diesel to catch fire causing the stacks to blow... So, without the nitrous it wouldn't have backfired because they wouldn't be enough of a catalyst to cause it to burn...

O2 is not flammable, it's not a fuel. The Diesel is the fuel, which there is a **** load of in the exhaust being that it is all not being burned.

What's the flash point (temperature) of Diesel fuel in the atmosphere (non-compressed)?

O2 is not flammable, it's not a fuel. The Diesel is the fuel, which there is a **** load of in the exhaust being that it is all not being burned.

What's the flash point (temperature) of Diesel fuel in the atmosphere (non-compressed)?

The Flash point of diesel is only 143 degrees F... The flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mix with air. The autoignition temp range is 490 ->545 degree's F... well within the relm of temperatures available within the immediate exhaust system, but this area experiences a huge lack of oxygen... But becuase of the condition within this area, is produces the perfect conditions for the decomposition of Nitrious, thus producing and oxygen rich environment, causing thus allowing the explosion to occur... So, if the nitrious hadn't been there the explosion wouldn't have occured... Oh, im assuming those temperatures are atmospheric, i couldn't find anything that said it was or wasn't... lame, i know:mad: And all these temps are for diesel #2, its much lower for diesel #1, and much higher for diesel #4....

Use only oil rated for diesel. It's designed to hold soot. I use Delo from Costco. I also only use Fleetguard filters from Cummins NW. They're not the only place that sells it. Just convenient for me. You could pay twice as much for the same filter from Mopar. Dropped my truck off this morning for a safety recall. They want $105 to change a $15 fuel filter :kissmyass:

Sold: 96' 12 5spd 4x4 CC LB with 600ft lb tq at rear wheels averaged 20-21mpg.

Current: 06' Mega 6spd 4x4 w/630 ft lb tq at rear wheels averages 17.2mpg.

Both trucks measured on same dyno (DDP). Loved the 12v for power, economy and no payments. Bought the Mega for convenience with my daughter.

Okay, so someone tell me about 'ddp'? I think that's the place. Located in Monroe. Specializes in diesel repairs.

First thing: Where is it in Monroe?

Also, would anyone take their trusted Tow Rig, diesel need only to reply, to a Jiffy Lube type place, for an oil change?

My first Oil change i took to the dealer only cuz i had a have off change from when i bought the truck. But the rest i'll do myself. :awesomework:

Latest posts

Back