• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

an inside micrometer will tell you if the bearing is oversize as mentioned earlier. thats what it looks like to me. those scratches would come from turning it over during assembly if the bearings did not have clearance.

there should have been a plasticgauge used on all bearing fits prior to even turning the crank.

does this shop prebreak in the engines? EG hook them up to a big motor and spin them to break in rings and such. the last motor i paid to have rebuilt this was done. that would make those score marks in a heartbeat. if it was mine id take the engine to them as it sits without further disassembly for thier evaluation and inform them you have already sent pictures to your attorney.....:D

an inside micrometer will tell you if the bearing is oversize as mentioned earlier. thats what it looks like to me. those scratches would come from turning it over during assembly if the bearings did not have clearance.

there should have been a plasticgauge used on all bearing fits prior to even turning the crank.

does this shop prebreak in the engines? EG hook them up to a big motor and spin them to break in rings and such. the last motor i paid to have rebuilt this was done. that would make those score marks in a heartbeat. if it was mine id take the engine to them as it sits without further disassembly for thier evaluation and inform them you have already sent pictures to your attorney.....:D

Unfortunately, that rebuild was about 3 years ago, not going to get any recourse now.

All I can do is fix it and make it right--hopefully out only a couple bills in parts:booo:

But in any case dale go ahead and get a camshaft kit coming. Send pokey a PM--he has some brake bracket parts we can use and I have a couple links for steering stuff I gotta send ya once I can re-find the one link I seem to have misplaced on my new machine :mad:

All I can do is fix it and make it right--hopefully out only a couple bills in parts:booo:

But in any case dale go ahead and get a camshaft kit coming. Send pokey a PM--he has some brake bracket parts we can use and I have a couple links for steering stuff I gotta send ya once I can re-find the one link I seem to have misplaced on my new machine :mad:

Will do. I'll get the edlebrock cam that matches the intake.

PS, we need to find a way to get a box of parts up to you. I think these may be the some of the missing accessory brackets that you needed, unless you've been able to sort through the pile that I gave you and found what you need. I don't know what these parts were for, but they were with the Willys.

Looks like oversized bearings in the wrong spot to me. The babbit is flaking from the looks of the pics. I would say it was assembled with the wrong bearings in it. That would also score the crank instantly. You said you could barwly get it to turn over right? Bummer either way.

What happened to the shop cam?

Did you get the crank back yet?

Are the pedals and such that Pokey brought up going to work?

Did you find any missing parts that you needed in that box that he brought to you?

keep george steel in mind for little flatfender parts. I think he still has quite a bit. george of the jeep. I was just over at his place and if anyone needs xj parts he has tons too.

OOOH OOOH, I see activity!!!!!!

I had the camshaft and gasket sent. I went with the Edlebrock Performer to match the intake. It's a mild cam with better low end performance.

Looks like the motor's starting to go back together.

Crash, find the PM that I sent you. I replied to your questions but I've not heard back.

You asked me to think about the cage design. I know for sure that I had two things in mind... The front fenders are already toast, so throw them away. Let's go with a tube fender setup.

New shock mounts may be required. If so setup a hoop for a coil over down the road. Those front springs don't flex worth beans... and I can see them going the way of coil overs down the road... If you can use the old shock towers then do so but I don't think it'll fly.

The cage must fit inside the soft top. The rig came with a brand new softop and I want to keep that. I THINK it went up there with the rig but if not, I can get it up there.

Lastly, I want to put a small rear seat in, so there has to be clearance for a small passenger or two in the back seat.

Ya--get this... parts are going back in :redneck:

Last week was trying to get my poor broken rig back together so this week--yup time to make a mess of yours....

I am waiting for the crank---hope to see it friday.... (got the summit parts) but the gasket kit is wrong--took some digging but found the motor to be an 83' (according to the block cast #'s) and the kit is for an 86'.

yup still got a lil digging and I will respond to the pm's :awesomework:

But I am hoping to stab the motor back in on sat if all goes as planned..

Last week was trying to get my poor broken rig back together so this week--yup time to make a mess of yours....

I am waiting for the crank---hope to see it friday.... (got the summit parts) but the gasket kit is wrong--took some digging but found the motor to be an 83' (according to the block cast #'s) and the kit is for an 86'.

Stoopid button..

In any case we have some time till the cage work/seats and so forth so once I get my head outa all the other stuff on the front side of the rig--we will dig into that and go from there..

One thing i did find intersesting from having jim look at the rig---the tub is aftermarket and has some odd differences from a stock Mb tub

OOOH OOOH, I see activity!!!!!!

I had the camshaft and gasket sent. I went with the Edlebrock Performer to match the intake. It's a mild cam with better low end performance.

Looks like the motor's starting to go back together.

Crash, find the PM that I sent you. I replied to your questions but I've not heard back.

You asked me to think about the cage design. I know for sure that I had two things in mind... The front fenders are already toast, so throw them away. Let's go with a tube fender setup.

New shock mounts may be required. If so setup a hoop for a coil over down the road. Those front springs don't flex worth beans... and I can see them going the way of coil overs down the road... If you can use the old shock towers then do so but I don't think it'll fly.

The cage must fit inside the soft top. The rig came with a brand new softop and I want to keep that. I THINK it went up there with the rig but if not, I can get it up there.

Lastly, I want to put a small rear seat in, so there has to be clearance for a small passenger or two in the back seat.

dont be throwing those fenders away. I will trade you for the brake pedals

dont be throwing those fenders away. I will trade you for the brake pedals

OK, I was going to bring the money tonight.

PS. Crash says that you have a t-case that I'm going to need? I forget the model, I believe it's a T-20? The one I have now has an offset rear output and I need one that comes back straight.

I'm hoping that my overdrive will still fit and work.

So what did you do with the Summit Gasket set?

Stoopid button..

In any case we have some time till the cage work/seats and so forth so once I get my head outa all the other stuff on the front side of the rig--we will dig into that and go from there..

One thing i did find intersesting from having jim look at the rig---the tub is aftermarket and has some odd differences from a stock Mb tub

It'll be even less than stock when we're done. I'm not too worried about it being a "restoration"! I would like to either find a replacement grill or some work needs to be done in order to get headlights to fit and work properly.

OK, I was going to bring the money tonight.

PS. Crash says that you have a t-case that I'm going to need? I forget the model, I believe it's a T-20? The one I have now has an offset rear output and I need one that comes back straight.

I'm hoping that my overdrive will still fit and work.

You have a Dana18. You need a Dana20 or Dana300 if you have a centered rear diff. The Warn overdrive willnot work any longer. With an engine upgrade, you should think about axle gearing or an overdrive in the transmission.

You have a Dana18. You need a Dana20 or Dana300 if you have a centered rear diff. The Warn overdrive willnot work any longer. With an engine upgrade, you should think about axle gearing or an overdrive in the transmission.

In that case I have a nice T-18 and a Borg Warner overdrive for sale. I don't know what gear ratio came stock in that rig.
The axles have 4.56 gears in them. They are brand new, with detroit lockers and have never been used yet.

yes--we need the 20 due to the centered 44 :awesomework:

The gasket kit was opened but sealed back up(didn't relize till I looked at the dang gaskets)...

But fingeres crossed the parts show up tommorow and I can keep moving,,,,

I would LOVE to have a new grill for this thing--but I also have an idea for lights for it if not :awesomework:

Back