• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt O's Ultra4 Buggy - EOR Racing #4462

Re: Matt O's Buggy Updates & Essentially Offroad KOH Rebuild & Prep

Matt O. said:
Made a few more small upgrades, actually if these problems would have presented themselves prior to KOH then we would of done really damn well. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

My fan was wired backwards and was not designed to spin that way, so the motor gave up. I thought the fan was SPAL before, turns out it wasn't. It is now. Went with a 16" SPAL Puller that puts out 2500 CFM. Really nice unit.

Also I swapped to PSC Steering because my system was mismatched and honestly I have had better luck with PSC in the past. Moved my resevoir to right on top of the pump, kept my lines and cooler. Steering is super now. Resevoir is WAY bigger and the feed line is about 6" long now. Jamie and I took it for a joy ride on Tuesday, wow it is fast!!! I will get some pics up

Did Jim's hit the computer tune on the first try?

Yep. He has done if for Blue Turd and others, he has it dialed.

Thought I would update this. Not really much changed or new here, but my rig is going to EOR for some minor fab work in a few weeks. My rear shock mounts are bent pretty good, a small dash/gauge mount to conceal my wiring and clean up the inside, need to make my door bars straight across for more protection, and some other minor fab/repair work.

Things I have improved upon since KOH.
Upgraded my rear brakes to a big bore caliper and now the brakes are GREAT and the cutting brakes actually work decent even with my detroit.
Swapped to PSC TC Pump, Ressy & Faster Orbital.
New 2460 CFM SPAL Fan and some TLC on the cooling system. Runs cool now, ran at 180 for most of the MMORV race.
Ramjet cam, flash and exhaust mods really woke up the motor. It is not a big nasty Gen 3 motor, but it works for what it is.

Bad
Blew a PSC pump at KOTH, they sent a "better" pump and it sucked big time at Harlan, so I am back to a regular TC pump.
Trashed my hood after a flop in Harlan, messed up my cowl at KOTH.
My exhaust was not quite tucked up enough and has a bunch of dents in the tubing. Looks bad and frustrates me considering how much it cost...

In December I am going to pull it apart and go over everything for next season. Plan to clean up the wiring and spend some time cleaning the electrical system up. Get some KOH tech stuff done, re-valve shocks based on Bilstein's tuning on DSI's car, new skin design and probably new paint scheme to make it look different all around.

I know I give EOR a lot of props and people probably get tired of hearing it, but I cannot say enough about Jimmy and the crew there. They are helpful, knowledgable and fair on price. Most importantly they have a can-do attitude and are willing to do whatever you need. If you have not worked with EOR yet, I encourage you to give them a try.

One last thing, I finally pulled the rear diff to check the gears from the KOH install. To my surprise, they still looked perfect and the fluid was good also. Considering we had minimal tools and had to use mustard for marking compound, I was pretty impressed ;D

So does that mean you're headed back to CA this feb.?

Travis said:
So does that mean you're headed back to CA this feb.?

No, I don't want to go back without a spot. This year the goal was to qualify and just finish. Next time it will be to actually compete and place Top 20. I will try at qualify next year and race 2011. I feel like my rig is much more dialed in and we could do pretty good with some decent luck. The KOH style racing is really a rush, you guys are gonna have the bug bad after Feb. I am going to keep wheelin and make KOH my annual race as long as I can qualify.

I heard that there might be a portion of the race ran at night. Is this true, that would be so Baja. :driving: :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
I heard that there might be a portion of the race ran at night. Is this true, that would be so Baja. :driving: :dblthumb:

Yeah and based on the recent LCQ Announcement I would not be surprised to see the race take a multi-day format including night sections..

Little Update

Rig has been at EOR for a few weeks and Jimmy. It is on a no rush, work on it when you cam timeline. Last ride I broke another rear r&p, that is the third time it has been replaced this year. Guess I should of left the nicked up set of 5.13's in there and maybe this could of all been avoided ;D Priced a junkyard LP60, cut down to SF to reuse my axles, brakes, etc. Don't really need to spend the extra money right now, so I decided to go back with another set of gears that I know is set up perfect and see what happens. If it breaks again I will go the LP route and sell this Dynatrac housing, it would make someone a nice front axle..

When I get it back from EOR I am going to re-skin it, have it painted, clean up wiring and do some maintenance. Tires will be for sale in Dec timeframe if anybody needs a set of reds that are less than a year old. Question, anybody have an idea to clean up AL beadlock rings. They are beat up bad and I was thinking about turning or machine the outer ring a tiny bit may clean them up and not weaken them too much. Ideas or anyone that has the machinery to clean this rings up please let me know.

R&P Carnage

[attachment deleted by admin]

Why selling the reds?

I'd just go at the rings with a flap disk and smooth the up if that's all you are wanting. Then you can do you air shock polishing tech on them bling em up.

Bones said:
Why selling the reds?

I'd just go at the rings with a flap disk and smooth the up if that's all you are wanting. Then you can do you air shock polishing tech on them bling em up.

Just getting a new set of reds, not changing tires. I tried to clean the rings up some last year without much luck. There are some pretty bad places in the rings. I will probably end up cleaning them up with the grinder and polishing them myself, just wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas. If you have ever priced replacement rings you would understand why that is not an option. :o I also found a place to powder coat my wheels as they look terrible and I am tired of dealing with bare aluminum.

Matt O. said:
Just getting a new set of reds, not changing tires. I tried to clean the rings up some last year without much luck. There are some pretty bad places in the rings. I will probably end up cleaning them up with the grinder and polishing them myself, just wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas. If you have ever priced replacement rings you would understand why that is not an option. :o I also found a place to powder coat my wheels as they look terrible and I am tired of dealing with bare aluminum.

Have you priced that place that Adam Adair is working for? :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Have you priced that place that Adam Adair is working for? :dunno:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Where does he work?

Matt O. said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Where does he work?

Got a card on him somewhere. I will find it and let you know. thumb.gif

Woodlee has his own rings made, maybe they can turn yours.

Yeah I think eagle machine does em. Maybe worth a call.

can you not just grind, flap, sand, wet sand, polish... repeat on next wheel??? :dunno:

Matt O. said:
Question, anybody have an idea to clean up AL beadlock rings. They are beat up bad and I was thinking about turning or machine the outer ring a tiny bit may clean them up and not weaken them too much. Ideas or anyone that has the machinery to clean this rings up please let me know.

I would just take a buffing disk on a grinder and clean them up.

THanks guys I really don't want to spend a day on cleaning these turds up, I like the buff disk for a grinder idea. It's like polishing a turd anyways, I think there is only so much that can be done.

I have a buff kit for use in cordless drills but my drill doesn't spin them fast enough to make a difference on these.

Back