• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Also, where is Diamond getting knuckle balls from to be building steering 80's? Surely they're not limiting production to what they can source via take-outs? And surely they don't care to cut the balls off of used housings for every new one they sell? And if they were, wouldn't that leave them an abundance of hp chunks to sell for a dime a dozen?

Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Hope Daniel uploads the vids from AOP yesterday. I put a beatin on my fj80 front and ifs rear....and I estimate my rig to weigh about 4k lbs, maybe more. I just can't see where you would have any sort of problem blowing up diffs in a rig that's gonna be half the weight of mine if you ran the 80 front. Even in mini truck fronts, I've seen more axles blew up than diffs.

patooyee said:
Also, where is Diamond getting knuckle balls from to be building steering 80's? Surely they're not limiting production to what they can source via take-outs? And surely they don't care to cut the balls off of used housings for every new one they sell? And if they were, wouldn't that leave them an abundance of hp chunks to sell for a dime a dozen?

Actually yes to all that...

They just don't sell the HP chunks cheap lol.

I've parted out several fj80 fronts, and shipped parts of them all over the country.

Here's minesez from a few years ago.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-answer-to-the-80-series-weak-link-all-toyota-hd-front-axle.496561/

the HP 8" is reverse cut teeth... so it's strong as hell going forward, weak as hell going backwards. They can literally break backing off obstacles.
I'm of the opinion that the 9.5" dif is stronger. Less 60's and 40's strip these teeth than do these HP's in 80's and minitrucks running them.

My axle is under an 80 rig in North Carolina now.

I've also sold the parts to a buddy not on this forum, he's building to mimic mine.

The 9.5 diff is really not that strong, the pinion is the same diameter 27 splines as the mini truck, and the ring gear is thin. If your going to go to the trouble of grafting a different diff in to a 80 front then consider using a Ford 9 centersection so your weak link won't be the pinion gear

I see your point but shopping for 9" stuff sucks. Basically all 9" factory stuff sucks (small bearings, small shafts) unless you get a rare gem in a junkyard. (Every white trash drag racer knows about them so the gems are basically gone.) And even then they have weird spline counts (31, 28) that you either need to convert or get custom shafts made for. And they make every part on the planet for them but they're all expensive as hell and you need every one of them before the dif is worth a damn. Every red neck on CL thinks if he has a 9" rear end he holds the key to the planet and its worth $900. And while the pinion GEAR is strong, the pinion splines are weak and the pinion itself is low as hell.

I've never broken a pinion, so I have never replaced due to that breakage. I've actually never broke a ring due to the thickness being an issue. It's always been stripped tooths.
I'm not so sure the thickness of the ring matters does it? It's bolted to the carrier anyway. If it deflected it would get into the axle housing, and I've never seen evidence of that.
Just as an aside, I've been wheeling for a little a decade, so I know folks have been longer than me... But I've only wheeled these two difs, the yota hp 8" and the 9.5". Never had a 9.5" fail. Not even on the hard stuff. Something else has always given up before it has.

LandSpeeder said:
I've never broken a pinion, so I have never replaced due to that breakage. I've actually never broke a ring due to the thickness being an issue. It's always been stripped tooths.
I'm not so sure the thickness of the ring matters does it? It's bolted to the carrier anyway. If it deflected it would get into the axle housing,

You must have been doing something wrong if you never broke a pinion lol

I'll just leave this here.....factory 4.11 gears with backlash in spec

Re: Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Neal3000 said:
The 9.5 diff is really not that strong, the pinion is the same diameter 27 splines as the mini truck, and the ring gear is thin. If your going to go to the trouble of grafting a different diff in to a 80 front then consider using a Ford 9 centersection so your weak link won't be the pinion gear

I wouldn't waste my time or money putting 80 outers on a 9"

if you go Ford 9", you pretty much have to go all aftermarket to make it worth your while... So you might as well build a 609 with 35 spline shafts....

Imo a factory 9" third is garbage. The ring gear will hold, but the carrier and bearings will **** the bed. I broke one in a mild trail rig f150. Of course yotas will eat ring gears, so I guess that's a toss up...

The easy thing about Toyota axles is that the seals are in the knuckles, and the 30 spline axles all interchange, so building "custom" axles doesn't require much more than an alignment bar and some pucks, no custom parts as long as you use stock length inner axles. And you can get factory 9.5" front axles, or build one out of a rear easily because of the offset rear diffs on land cruisers.

So that's it JJ, either run the fj60 axles with minimal mods, or build some high zoot 609s with aftermarket thirds...

Lol

LOL!
You got dat boom boom pow!
Yours is a 40 though. You sure that wasn't an old set?
Newer R&P shouldn't blow all to hell like that.
Didn't you blow you transfer case like this too once at grey rock?!
Ward, I think you were a little hard in the beaver.

Yeah the 9" is deceptive. In stock form they rock ... except for the third member housing, but they make aftermarket thirds ... and the shafts, but they make aftermarket shafts ... except the pinion splines but they make aftermarket gears ... except the pinion is the lowest point on the axle but they make pinion guards ... except the bearings but the aftermarket thirds with bigger bearings are 3x the cost of normal thirds. Oh wait, it turns out the only good factory thing about 9" axles is the gears ... but you're going to want lower gears anyway so now you just bought an aftermarket 9" for $2000 before you even start on the housing. Factory housings are cool ... except some are stronger than others ... blah blah blah.

Neal3000 said:

I never got any that good but I have a ring gear graveyard in the scrap pile. I think I broke 6-8 before I changed the axles.

What about putting 44 knuckles on it? Not sure it's as strong as a 80 knuckle but it damn sure cheaper. How do you think the 44 RCV's compare to the 80 shafts? I don't know **** but for a lite weight buggy I would think 44 would hold up and if al you need is c out you can get a 10 bolt for next to nothing and have everything you need. That is if you use the 60 center and have shafts made.

Toddy

Re:

The 44 cv is smaller and weaker than a mini truck and a lot smaller and weaker than 80 stuff.

LandSpeeder said:
LOL!
You got dat boom boom pow!
Yours is a 40 though. You sure that wasn't an old set?
Newer R&P shouldn't blow all to hell like that.
Didn't you blow you transfer case like this too once at grey rock?!
Ward, I think you were a little hard in the beaver.

LMAO! I killed the beaver. Yes tcase went kaboom at GR

That 3rd was from a FJ62

I wish Nolen would see this thread and weigh in

Neal3000 said:

Just curious, what are the specs of the rig this broke in? Weight, engine, tires?

Back