• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

On the 80 housing. If you cut balls off and flip it will 3rd bold back up? I know you will have to cut cover off and flip it but will 3rd bolt back up? Been looking for a 60 for my tacoma but might go with 80 if I can find right deal.

Toddy

Re: Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Neal3000 said:
You must have been doing something wrong if you never broke a pinion lol

I'll just leave this here.....factory 4.11 gears with backlash in spec

Is that a Detroit in a rear axle ?

Toddy said:
On the 80 housing. If you cut balls off and flip it will 3rd bold back up? I know you will have to cut cover off and flip it but will 3rd bolt back up? Been looking for a 60 for my tacoma but might go with 80 if I can find right deal.

Toddy

Yes you just have to cut new slots for the ring gear

Neal3000 said:
Yeah i had detroits front and rear

You know I like to over-analyze stuff, but the way the flange broke off of the carrier there is intriguing to me. I have heard that 9.5 Detroits are weak to begin with. I think that break shows there was some flexing of the carrier going on. I wonder how much a load bolt would have helped with that. I've never really liked how Detroits will snatch open then closed again either. I feel like it has to be bad for the dif to do that. I've always ran welded or spooled rears as a result. The only locker I've ever felt safe running up front has been Ouverson chromo Detroit copy and ARB's. But I've never owned an ARB long enough to truly beat on it.

Running spools in yotas can allow for more gear deflection also being that the ring gears are already thin and the spool doesnt provide as much support for the ring gear as a full case locker.

I don't spool anything I can weld. ;) I have a spool int he rear of my current buggy to get 47 splines.

toyota axles are tough... that being said... the typical "toyota" owner does not drive all that hard or cant get it outta double low. I see more chromo 60 stuff break that yota stuff. if you figure 3000lb machine with 42 iroks 22r with 15 lbs boost an yota axles like mine, its same thing as 500 hp 4000 lb ton buggy horsepower weight ration wise. i can pull 4th gear 4.7 in mine which is a 25:1. thats the same wheel speed most of the rock bouncers have with 600hp an atlas 3.8.
toyota axles must have to survive-6 shooters with arp studs, original longs or rcvs, arp hub studs, knuckle ball gussets

Toddy said:

Toddy

Only the semi-float rear 80-housing. Found on all 91-92 and some 93-94 80-series. the dif will bolt onto either side of the axle housing. So, just move the axle forward, keeping passenger side drop, and move the dif to the now backside. cut ring holes in.

below is was the backside of the axle on the rear, and was backside on the front:

LandSpeeder said:
Only the semi-float rear 80-housing. Found on all 91-92 and some 93-94 80-series. the dif will bolt onto either side of the axle housing. So, just move the axle forward, keeping passenger side drop, and move the dif to the now backside. cut ring holes in.

below is was the backside of the axle on the rear, and was backside on the front:

He was asking about making it driver side drop.

I have one of those SF fj80 rear axles rat holed just for a 9.5/FJ80 hybrid... next time I com across a cheap fj80 front...

easleycrawler said:
I know where a 80 front is that's kinda cheap. Thought about picking it up myself, bit not sure if I want to drop a grand in a set of hell fire knuckles.

I'm talking Pull-a-Part cheap... :****:

No way in hell I'd spend that on Hellfire knuckles.

Every Toyota I've built was too low for high steer anyway, I would do something like this minus the blingy brakes:
65951_549343300182_72100980_31803840_1118504_n.jpg

TBItoy said:
I'm talking Pull-a-Part cheap... :****:

No way in hell I'd spend that on Hellfire knuckles.

Every Toyota I've built was too low for high steer anyway, I would do something like this minus the blingy brakes:
65951_549343300182_72100980_31803840_1118504_n.jpg

Where is the build on that axle? About talked myself out of an 80 front because of the 1k knuckles but it's starting to look like that's the direction I'll go if I can find one before I find a 60.

Toddy

Toddy said:
Where is the build on that axle? About talked myself out of an 80 front because of the 1k knuckles but it's starting to look like that's the direction I'll go if I can find one before I find a 60.

Toddy
Unfortunately the guy who posted that pic specifically stated there was no build thread. That pic was from his for sale thread. He ran it two seasons of koh and some other racing and it started to develop a small crack by the time he did the rig. That's all the info there was. It was in the who is running an fj80 front thread on paste on pirate.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

patooyee said:
Unfortunately the guy who posted that pic specifically stated there was no build thread. That pic was from his for sale thread. He ran it two seasons of koh and some other racing and it started to develop a small crack by the time he did the rig. That's all the info there was. It was in the who is running an fj80 front thread on paste on pirate.

It's all on the first page of the LII XR23 Blackbird build thread on pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/929232-liquid-iron-industries-project-xr-23-blackbird.html

There really isn't much to know about building it, it was just a stock fj80 front with some caliper adapters to mount the wilwood calipers, and a plate steering arm TIG welded to the knuckle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

TBItoy said:
It's all on the first page of the LII XR23 Blackbird build thread on pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/929232-liquid-iron-industries-project-xr-23-blackbird.html

There really isn't much to know about building it, it was just a stock fj80 front with some caliper adapters to mount the wilwood calipers, and a plate steering arm TIG welded to the knuckle.

Oh, great! I guess I must have been mixing two posts up in my mind because looking back now I see that he didn't say anything about no build thread. :spin: Durhhhh.

Anyway, I really think that an 80 (or mini for that matter) knuckle could be strategically plated like the d60 guys do to hold up. Then welding a fabbed arm like that to the plates would be easier and better because it wouldn't be welded to cast steel but plate instead. The plate would be welded to the cast steel knuckel over a much larger area dispersing the stress better.

I used slee high steer arms with a rhd steering arm on my fj80 elockers. At the time it was the cheapest option and it got me double sheer. These are 4:10 with longs f/r and arp hub studs. It seems to work.

Back